The World's Water Supply

The World's Water Supply

  I was listening to the radio the other day and I was amazed when I heard some statistics to do with the world's water supply. I have since had a wee look at this and thought I would share what I have learnt.



We all know that water is essential to life and good health. When you look at the distribution of total water available and see that 97% of the earth's water is salt water found in our oceans it's amazing to see that of the remaining 3% which is fresh water is still not all available. A massive 68.7% of that 3% of fresh water is locked up in glaciers and icecaps and a further 30.1% is ground water. This leaves us with 0.9% fresh water sources made up of lakes, rivers and swamps.

We need to take a good look at how we are using this precious resource and all do our bit to preserve as much as we can. One of the obvious ways we can help is by rainwater harvesting. Using the collected rainwater to water our plants and use for other outdoor activities like washing our car we are reducing the load on our water supply.

When you think about the fact that if you live in town we are generally using drinking water to flush our toilets, shower or take a bath in, fill our pools, do our washing, cleaning and dishes and numerous other activities it is not hard to see that by collecting rainwater and using that for as much as we can we will be helping to ease the strain on our water supply.  

Let's all do our bit to help - Start collecting rainwater as soon as you can. We have a wide range of tanks available and if you already have something to collect rainwater in but are struggling to connect it to your downpipes check out our range of downpipe diverters. I am sure we will have something to suit your needs. 

Remember we are always available to help anyway we can.






Comments 0

Leave a comment